COLD WEATHER TIPS FOR PET OWNERS
Police remind citizens to look out for their furry friends…
With the temperature continuing to be below freezing, police are providing some simple tips to help citizens take extra care of their pets.
Below are some tips to help keep Fluffy and Fido safe this cold weather season:
- Never leave your pet in a cold car. It can hold in the cold just like a refrigerator.
- Keep your pets indoor, during the day and night. Cold temperatures can still harm your pets even though they have fur.
- If you leave your pets outside, give them a draft-free shelter large enough to stand and turn around in, but small enough to retain body heat. Use something to protect them against the cold like a layer of straw or a blanket. Turn the entrance away from wind and snow.
- Stay with your pets when taking them out for a bathroom break; if it’s too cold for you, it is too cold for them and you should head inside.
- Use extra caution around lakes, ponds and rivers as the ice may not be thick enough to hold you and/or your pet.
- Police remind citizens that if you see animal in distress call 911 and take direction from the call taker.